Dental implants are a great alternative to replacing teeth. They are an option for people who have lost one tooth, or someone who has lost many.
Dental Implants in Westborough, MA
Dental implants are special posts made of titanium alloy or ceramic material which are surgically placed into the jawbone to replace missing teeth or to support a denture. These posts act as an artificial root for a crown when they are used to replace individual teeth. Dental implants stabilize bone levels and can prevent bone loss, resulting in better long-term support, function, and esthetics.
Dental implants require less adjustment or shaving of surrounding teeth compared to other restoration methods such as dental bridges. They are also more flexible and provide a more natural feeling than bridges or full or partial dentures.
Dental Implant Procedure
- Consultation & Exam. To decide if dental implants are the right restoration method for you we will conduct a full exam, including x-ray scans, and discuss your treatment options.
- Tooth Extraction & Bone Grafting. If any teeth need extraction that will be scheduled after a treatment plan is established. This will also require some recovery time to ensure the site is ready for the implant procedure. Any bone grafting required to support the implant will then take place which will require at least a few months to heal.
- Implant Placement. Once the site is ready the implantation can take place. The implant will be placed into the jawbone and a healing cap will be placed over the implant. This is followed by regular check-ups to ensure proper healing.
- Implant Healing. After your implant is placed, osseointegration begins. During this, your jawbone heals around the dental implant providing a solid base for your new artificial tooth. This process takes approximately 3 months.
- Abutment & Crown Placement. Once healing is complete the abutment or connecting piece, and replacement tooth, or crown, can be placed.
If you are interested in a dental implant consultation, schedule an appointment with our online scheduling tool or contact us today.
Dental Implant Cost
At Century Family Dental, we strive to offer affordable dental implants for our patients in Westborough, MA. Each part of the procedure has an individual charge, listed below, but please note that the prices can slightly vary, depending on the needs of each patient as every case is different.
Dental Implant: $1,106 – $2,450
- Custom Abutment: $1,106
- Implant Crown: $1,896
- Dental Implant: $2,450
Estimated total cost per implant is $4,508. Out of pocket cost for any procedure depends on your insurance coverage at the time of the procedure.
Are Dental Implants Painful?
The most painful part of the dental implant process is extracting any teeth that implanted crowns will replace. However, any extraction will include anesthesia meaning little to no pain during the procedure and only a few days of recovery. Any pain experienced during recovery should also be manageable using over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen.
Caring For Your Dental Implants
After you’ve received your dental implants, you may have some discomfort including swelling, pain near the implant site and minor bleeding. To help with this discomfort, our office recommends that patients take Motrin for 24-48 hours after their procedure. Minor bleeding is common on the days following your procedure. If the bleeding persists for multiple days, please contact our office. You will likely have some swelling after your treatment, but placing an ice pack on the outer cheek for 10 minutes will help.
Caring for your dental implants will help them last as long as possible. You should treat them as normal teeth – brush and floss them twice a day!
Meet Your Dental Implant Expert
Dr. Akbar Saleem
Dr. Akbar Saleem has received advanced training in implant dentistry including placement and restoration. He regularly travels nationwide to continue learning through courses and ensures technological advancements are available to his patients.